This plan was submitted in response to Executive Order 13985 on Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities and summarizes key aspects of the DOL's principles and approaches to advancing equity.
There are five areas where the DOL plans ambitious activities to support underserved communities, including the following:
- enforcement of wage and hour laws
- administering and improving the federal-state Unemployment Insurance system
- broadening access to DOL programs, services, and information for workers with limited English proficiency
- expanding sector-based training and employment strategies; and
- diversifying the federal workforce by building new pathways into government apprenticeships
In each area, the plan identifies barriers to more equitable access to programs and services for relevant populations, details steps to overcome those barriers, and lays out planned activities and accountability measures. These five areas represent only a portion of the equity work the DOL has carried out and is planning to implement over the coming years. By releasing a roadmap for these five high-impact program areas, we hope to help the communities we serve better understand our vision for advancing equity—so they can both give us input and hold us accountable for meaningful change.